The Human and Planetary Health Society is the student group associated with the Institue.
Student Projects and Campus Initiatives:
- Fossil Fuel Divestment Campaign- HPHS is working to encourage the University administration and Board of Trustees to divest all current and future investments from the fossil fuel industry
- Food Waste Initiative- Doane University throws away over 900 pounds of food each week from the campus cafeteria. Doane engineering students built a "proof of concept" biodigester that can be used to anaerobically break down the food waste and capture the methane, using it to displace fossil gas use on campus.
- Single Use Item Initiative- HPHS is working to eliminate all single-use items on campus. They started with distribution of coffee cups to use at Lakeside Coffee House
- Permaculture Project- At the most recent IHPH Symposium, a permaculture workshop was held. HPHS students lobbied for use of a piece of ground on campus as a site for a new permaculture project which was designed at the workshop and will be implemented by students over the coming semesters.
- Water Project- This project will save 96%-98% of the water used from faucets on campus. This project will add faucet add-ons that will atomize the water coming from the faucets. This project will cost just over $6,000 to implement these faucet add-ons and will pay itself off in 1-2 years.
- President- Hunter Kleinschmidt
- Vice President- Jared Foote
- Secretary- Zach Renshaw
- Treasurer- Morgan Langmack
- Social Chair- Kaitlyn Andreessen
- Green Researchers- Craig and Colin Bramhall